Today I’m sharing a few tips for getting gorgeous photos of you and your bridesmaids getting ready! (and the guys too in their room) This might seem like an insignificant part of the day when it comes to pictures and probably not the highest priority on your list, but I think these can be some of the most beautiful and special images as you will reflect back on the way you were feeling as you got ready for the day!
- When looking for a room to get ready, make sure it has natural light (window light), and the more the better! This is probably the single most important advice I could give–I can’t emphasize it enough. Floor to ceiling windows are better yet–seriously! It will make a world of difference in your pictures! Your makeup artist will also appreciate the natural light.
- Make sure the room is big enough. Getting ready spaces tend to fill up fast–it won’t just be you and your bridesmaids: you’ll have makeup artists, coordinators, photographer, videographer, moms, aunts, etc! Also this will most likely be the place that you’ll store your things. You’ll want to make sure the room is big enough that we can clear out a space next to the window for pictures, and not have makeup bags and water bottles showing in the background! If you want to do a first look with your bridesmaids or dad, we’ll need a good section of the room to be free of clutter! This is an easy way to instantly make your photos better.
- Choose a room with minimal wall art and neutral colors. Wall art can be really distracting in the background of your pictures. As your photographer, I will do as much as I can to avoid any distracting elements, but sometimes I can’t crop it out! Keep in mind the color scheme of your day, and choose a space that goes with those colors.
What if your venue doesn’t have a nice bridal suite? That’s ok! Consider a hotel suite or airbnb. These can be beautiful options, just keep in mind the above tips when selecting one.
Ideas of extra things to include in your getting ready room:
- A big mirror
- An elegant chair or couch
- A small fridge or cooler for snacks
- Champagne or confetti for a fun picture